Meebo Bar

Friday, November 6, 2009

Daily dose of truth

I was thinking of ideas for this blog today because I want to update it more often. A lot of times stuff just comes to me and sometimes it just doesn't. That's why I never pursued writing for a newspaper. I don't know if I could pull ideas and pieces out of my ass on a regular basis with deadlines and whatnot. But then I had an idea a few minutes ago for a nightly piece I could post: Daily does of truth. It will be anything from one sentence to a whole huge post about things that just need to be said that seem glaringly obvious but nobody else seems to see.

Without further ado, here's the first one:

Sans a few songs from the last two albums, Green Day hasn't put out anything decent since Warning. That's right, I said Warning, not Dookie or Insomniac or something else. Warning was Green Day's Pinkerton in my eyes. Except it probably did way better in sales and reviews than Pinkerton (Weezer) did (but we all know Pinkerton is the shit).

Warning was a different album for Green Day compared to their previous albums and I remember everybody giving me shit when I would say I liked it. Well, all you people from 7 years ago, way to pan that album. Now we are stuck with Green Day in eyeliner, shitty straightened hair and uniforms. Way to go. You pan an album and the band freaks and gives up/sells out. I hate saying bands sell out. People called Green Day a sellout when they did Warning because it wasn't pop-punk. I thought it was great to see them try new things and they pulled it off well. Strapping on a uniform and thinking your a punk rock Bono (Tom, I'll get to you soon) and writing mega-anthems and rock opera shit is selling out to me. Was NOFX's The Decline given as much coverage? An 18 minute song about the real, gritty sides of America and politics. No. It wasn't broken up into 3 minute songs to appease the gnat sized attention spans of the lowest common denominator record buyer.

But...I am a sucker for an upbeat, catchy pop-punk song and Green Day did deliver a few of those on each of their last albums. And its not to say they didn't try on the last two either. I feel like 21st Century Breakdown was an extended side B of American Idiot. I give them a B+ for effort but I just don't like it. I feel like its cool to change your style up a bit and try new things as an artist, but when it comes to bands, the fan base and loyalty can be volatile and you shouldn't upset the way things are. I'm sure they don't want to be 50 and still playing When I Come Around. I don't blame them at all. Sellout or just adventurous primadonnas-either way. I still think when a band decides to go a direction completely different than the original course, they should just create an alter ego. Green Day did this with The Network and Foxborough Hot Tubs but I think they should have done it again with the last 2 records. Why the hell not? Like their label will say no to them if they want to have 5 bands with the same members.

Billie Joe, please take off the eye liner and stop dying and straightening your hair. You should all dress like you did on the cover of Warning, not stylish high school pop punk bands from 2002. The black and red thing is cool looking, I'll give you that. But come on. Also, either call your second guitarist who plays most of your parts a real part of the band and give him as much time in the lime light as you, Mike and Tre get or kick him out and be a trio again. I'm sure your monetary arrangement works fine. Money money money to play guitar and be in the band but not really. If you want to be a rock star and run and skip around the stage at your shows, make him a full fledged member. Otherwise go back to stripped down three piece music. Its more genuine. You all seem so high and mighty in your interviews. Especially since I never see that guy sitting there talking. I'm even calling him "that guy". I'm sure I could find his name within seconds on Google, but I've been a fan since 1998 and I still haven't heard it.

Meh.

No comments: